Friday, June 8, 2007

Where are the real Christian?

"I am alone, surrounded by unbelieving activists and inactive believers. Where are the real Christians?" (letter excerpt in the book "The Irresistible Revolution")

A part of me wishes I knew the background story behind that comment because, to be brutally honest, I don't believe it. Oh, perhaps this is the writer's perception, but I don't think that his statement is accurate.

I would suspect, rather, that by 'inactive believers' he means believers who are not active in things he thinks are important. Although I cannot prove it, I suspect that one could look at his community, and find quiet people doing many small and quiet things--going to church, teaching Sunday School, helping each other as best they know how, raising their kids, looking after the older people, praying for each other, giving to charities and missions, and such things.

Nothing loud and fancy. No riots or protests or anything people today like to call 'extreme'.

What they are not, I further suspect from his words and how the author uses them, are 'radicals'. They aren't mindless enthusiasts who start protests over perceived 'injustices' when such injustices have not been proven. They don't think saying "God bless America" is an unchristian statement of hatred against other nations, nor that such a declaration necessarily means that they do not want God to bless other places. They think being a soldier is a high and honorable thing. They think working hard and enjoying that rewards of the work are good things, even as they also give to their churches and other charities. They know that there are poor people who could use a hand up, and others who for reasons of health and age are unable to help themselves, but they also know that there are people who would abuse any charity given to them, and whose poverty is their own faults for laziness or wasting of their resources. They are peaceful people who think their are times when the only solution is conflict.

To be plain, they are not 'activists'. What they are, again to be plain, is active.

And so, in this youngster's mind, they are 'inactive believers'.

I suppose I should stress again that I can't prove any of that, that it's all speculation. But if I were a betting man, I'd probably put a dollar on my speculations being reality. Maybe even five.

No comments: